Participants will learn to understand and manage aggressive and violent behaviour through verbal Behaviour Management Intervention strategies within the prescribed limits of legislation, mandated service and philosophy.
This program is considered to be essential to the service industry when dealing with aggressive and or violent clients. The 1-day Verbal De-escalation training focuses attention on understanding the building blocks of a crisis situation, empathic communication and incorporates elements of trauma informed care to crisis intervention, to effectively manage client behaviour.
Participant Learning Objectives:
- Learning outcomes identify the knowledge, skills and attitude that a participant will have acquired through reliable demonstration as a result of the learning experiences and evaluations provided during this program.
- Identifying client behavioural changes
- Employing situational-appropriate behaviour management
- When to request assistance from either peers or supervisors
- The Pre-Crisis, Crisis and Post-Crisis Phases of Behavioural
- The various Theories of Aggression and Precipitating Factors, including biological/physiological, psychological, socio/cultural and environmental
- As a result of the successful completion of the experience provided in this program, participants will have demonstrated further development in their skills.
- Identify and deal effectively and appropriately with clients who are experiencing a
“Continuum of Behaviour”.
- Intervene, assess, diffuse and control a crisis situation through the use of approved and appropriate behaviour management strategies.
- Being positive and open-minded in their interactions with others, being respectful of the legislated policies and procedures with regards to the use of behavioural management
interventions in a continuum and maintaining the highest level of the client’s dignity and safety within the various environments.
- Note that if you want to advance your skills, the 2-day UMAB training includes the physical self-protection techniques and is available in the THTC training calendar.
- Disclaimer: This training covers topics related to trauma and traumatic situations. There may be situations discussed that may be emotionally triggering for some. You are always welcome to share these personal triggers with the instructor (in private if you so wish) and/or step out of the room if you need a break or some distance. Its important to us and to the instructor that you connect with either the instructor or THTC Admin, in case you need support afterwards or during the training. Our goal is to empower you with this knowledge and these techniques and not to exacerbate any injuries, whether physical or emotional. Please proceed with care.
Target Group: All
Additional Training Method: Agency Training
THTC Member: $100 | Non-Member: $110
- Once you submit your registration request, THTC staff will respond with a payment link (if you are not part of an invoiced agency). Once payment has been received, you will receive a registration confirmation. This process typically takes 1-4 business days.
- Course registration closes 24 business hours prior to the course start time. If the course is not full and you would like to submit a last-minute registration, please email our Training Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you are part of an invoiced agency, kindly note that only approved staff can submit registration requests. If you are unsure about who is an approved staff member, please speak to your supervisor/manager or contact our Training Coordinator: email@example.com.
- If you choose the member price ticket and you or your agency are not a THTC member, you will be charged the non-member rate. To become a THTC member, please follow the link below:
- Online Membership Application – Toronto Hostels Training Centre (thtcentre.com)
- You must receive a THTC membership confirmation email before submitting registration requests with the member price ticket.
- You must be on time for the course. Should you miss more than 15 minutes of the course, U.M.A.B. will not issue a certificate of completion.
- This training is interactive – all participants are required to participate to the best of their ability.
- Participants will receive instructions on how to join the online Zoom session 1-2 business days before the training date. Please be sure to check your junk/spam folder.
- Participants are required to have their camera on for most of the training session (i.e., at least 70% of the session) in order to receive their course certificate. Should you require accommodation, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org plan at least 48 business hours before the training session. We also encourage you to use a tablet or laptop as participating using only a cell phone will significantly reduce your learning experience.
All participants are required to pass the quiz (after the training) with a mark of 75% or higher to receive a certificate. Upon successful completion of the quiz (within two weeks of the training), participants will be emailed a training certificate from U.M.A.B. Canada which is valid for one (1) year.
For more information on THTC policies and procedures, please follow the link below: