This interactive workshop will focus on prevention techniques and on how to intervene with an escalated individual. The first day will introduce you to basic crisis intervention techniques. Learn to recognize warning signs that allow for early intervention, plus how to use verbal and nonverbal techniques to avoid a violent confrontation. The second day of the workshop trains participants in safe physical intervention procedures, including personal safety — when and how to intervene safely. An effective team approach to intervention will also be included. A certificate of participation will be issued upon successful completion of the two-day course.
This training is RESTRICTED to THTC’s members only.
To process this specific training, Individuals and Agencies must be a member.
To become a member please visit the web-page.
Target Group: All
Additional Training Method: Agency Training
Total Cost: THTC Members Pay: $105.00
Units I-VII: Preventative Techniques:
- Identify the behaviour levels that contribute to the development of a crisis and choose an appropriate staff intervention for each level.
- Identify useful non-verbal techniques which can help to prevent acting-out behaviour.
- Use verbal techniques to de-escalate behaviour.
- Demonstrate CPI’s principles of personal safety to avoid injury if behaviour escalates to a physical level. Provide for the Care, Welfare, Safety, and Security of all those who are involved in a crisis.
Units IX-X: Situational Role Plays and Postvention:
- Apply the material covered in training to real-life situations.
- Find ways to use the time after a crisis (postvention) as a step toward preventing future crises.
- Use a model for action after an incident that will bring about necessary closure, debriefing and re-establishment of therapeutic relationships with the individuals involved.
REGISTRATIONS ARE CLOSED FOR THIS PROGRAM - THTC DOES NOT MAINTAIN A WAITLIST or CANCELLATION LIST. Please refer to the training calendar for future availability.