Non-Violent Crisis Prevention Intervention
Instructor: Laura Sanford
Crisis Prevention Institute’s Nonviolent Crisis Intervention training focuses on verbal de-escalation, intervention, and prevention strategies to address escalating situations in social service settings. You will learn strategies to recognize and respond at the earliest points possible in a crisis, and to use a variety of verbal and nonverbal techniques to keep yourself, participants and the person in crisis safe. Setting limits, professional and ethical decision-making, using an effective team approach to intervene, and re-establishing communication with individuals who have escalated, are primary learning objectives.
This Nonviolent Crisis Intervention training will be provided in a Blended Learning format consisting of:
- Self-Paced Online Modules:
Once registered, you will receive a link from the Crisis Prevention Institute to access the online, self-paced portion of the Nonviolent Crisis Intervention course. This link will be sent out approximately 14 days prior to the live in-person or live online portion of the course (“Day 2 outlined below). (If you register within 14 days of the course, you will receive the link within 2-3 business days of your registration). When you receive your Registration Confirmation email from Toronto Hostels Training Centre, you will also receive the CPI 2nd Edition Learner’s Guide as a PDF attachment. Please use this guide to complete the self-paced modules, which typically take approximately 3-6 hours to complete. You can complete the self-pace modules at your own pace and have the ability to pause and revisit previous material as needed. There is a brief, multiple choice quiz at the end of the self-paced learning that must be successfully completed at least 24 business hours prior to your Live in Person / Live Online Day Two training session. Please note that if the self-paced modules and quiz are not completed at least 24 business hours prior to Day Two, you will be unable to attend your Live in Person / Live Online session. If this occurs, you will be subject to a $40 administrative fee to reschedule your Day Two Nonviolent Crisis Intervention training (as per THTC policy).
- Live in Person / Live Online Day Two:
The live portion (either in person or online via Zoom) will take place with a certified Nonviolent Crisis Intervention instructor to further understand and apply the concepts and models introduced in the online self-paced modules. Please note that Toronto Hostels Training Centre does not teach physical holds and focuses on verbal (i.e. hands-off) interventions, as well as Disengagement Skills (formerly ‘Personal Safety Techniques’). You will have the opportunity to apply and practice key concepts on case scenarios from the social service sector.
Certificate of Completion: Upon completion of the self-paced and live (in person or online) training, you will receive your Blue Card in CPI Verbal Intervention. You will also receive a PDF letter through email to provide to your (potential) employer. The Blue Card and CPI Nonviolent Crisis Intervention Training Participant Workbook (2nd Edition) will be mailed out to the address on file for your THTC membership (i.e., if you register through your organization’s membership, the booklet and Blue Card will be mailed out to the address on file for that organization).
- Identify the behavior levels that contribute to the development of a crisis and choose an appropriate staff intervention for each level.
- Identify verbal and non-verbal techniques which can help to avoid or respond to escalating situations.
- Identify and apply hands-off interventions to respond to physical risk behaviors.
- Provide for the Care, Welfare, Safety, and Security of everyone involved in a crisis.
- Apply the material covered in training to real-life situations.
- Provide means to re-establish communication with an escalated individual, strengthen team responses after a crisis, and lessen the likelihood of future crises.
Some important information about this training:
1) This training is available to THTC’s members only. To register for this training, Individuals and Agencies must first apply to become a THTC member.
To become a member please click here.
Please only submit your registration request once your membership has been finalized (i.e., payment received by THTC, and you have received your confirmation email for membership).
2) To participate in this training, all participants must successfully complete the self-paced, online portion, PRIOR to their scheduled live-online training date. Failure to do this will result in not being admitted to the live-online portion and your registration will be lost.
Target Group: All
Additional Training Method: Agency Training
Total Cost: THTC Members Pay: $200.00
This session has reached full capacity and registration is now closed. The next CPI Nonviolent Crisis Intervention course will be taking place on December 12, 2023. THTC will be releasing the first quarter of the 2024 calendar by mid to late November.