Do you feel restricted in helping clients and shelter residents with questionable motivation? Are the concepts of motivation, resistance, ambivalence and compliance confusing? This course examines motivation as an interactive process between client/resident and counsellor, providing a variety of practice tools to address key issues in counselling and support situations. Special emphasis is placed on working with people who are more “resistant.” This approach has been successfully applied in the area of addictions. Workshop content includes: principles of motivational interviewing; building motivation for change; dealing with resistance; and understanding strategic tools that can be used in brief interventions. This training is interactive, and all attendees will be required to participate.
At the end of this workshop, participants will be able to:
- List the key principles and strategies of MI.
- Practice and apply the four essential opening strategies with clients.
- Identify approaches to clients who are resistant to change.
Target Group: All
Additional Training Method: Agency Training
THTC Member: $100 | Non-Member: $110
- Once you submit your registration request, THTC staff will respond with a payment link (if you are not part of an invoiced agency). Once payment has been received, you will receive a registration confirmation. This process typically takes 1-4 business days.
- Course registration closes 24 business hours prior to the course start time. If the course is not full and you would like to submit a last-minute registration, please email our Training Coordinator: email@example.com.
- If you are part of an invoiced agency, kindly note that only approved staff can submit registration requests. If you are unsure about who is an approved staff member, please speak to your supervisor/manager or contact our Training Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you choose the member price ticket and you or your agency are not a THTC member, you will be charged the non-member rate. To become a THTC member, please follow the link below:
- Online Membership Application – Toronto Hostels Training Centre (thtcentre.com)
- You must receive a THTC membership confirmation email before submitting registration requests with the member price ticket.
- You must be on time for the course. Should you miss more than 30 minutes of the course, THTC will not issue a certificate of completion.
- This training is interactive – all participants are required to participate to the best of their ability.
- Participants will receive instructions on how to join the online Zoom session 1-2 business days before the training date. Please be sure to check your junk/spam folder.
- Participants are required to have their camera on for most of the training session (i.e., at least 70% of the session) in order to receive their course certificate. Should you require accommodation, please reach out to email@example.com plan at least 48 business hours before the training session. We also encourage you to use a tablet or laptop as participating using only a cell phone will significantly reduce your learning experience.
- A certificate of completion will be distributed upon successful course completion.
For more information on THTC policies and procedures, please follow the link below: