Instructor: Martez Schembri- Diskey
Self-Care is essential for enhancing optimal Healthcare, Wellbeing and for Safe Effective Use of Self (SEUS). It is part of self-regulation of the biopsychosocial-spiritual process through which we create and maintain inner and outer balance and wellbeing. Without awareness of stress physiology, stress regulation, self-care tools and self-care treatment plan, we run the risk of not recognizing the signs and symptoms and not responding effectively to prevent illness from extreme stress, compassion fatigue and worker burnout. It is important to learn to apply simple self-care tools to effectively manage stresses to balance and take care of yourself first. We are very good at helping others, but we often neglect or disregard the importance of Personal Self-Care. It is not a luxury, it is Safe Effective Use of Self (SEUS) is it a necessity for our optimal health, longevity and to effectively serve our profession and clients.
After the workshop participants will:
- Identify Stress – different types of stress physiology
- Understand how stress affects us – biopsychosocial-spiritual model (body, mind and spirit)
- Recognize Compassion Fatigue, Secondary Trauma/Vicarious Trauma and Burnout
- Understand how to provide Self-Care Tools for Integration, Restoration and Growth
- Introduce Body-Mindfulness Awareness – a guided experiential practice
- Create a Self-Care Treatment Plan and discuss Tools for Treatment and Growth
- Integrative MAGIC Journaling Process
- Interactive Discussion and Self-Care summary
Target Group: All
Additional Training Method: Agency Training
THTC Member: $100 | Non-Member: $110
- Once you submit your registration request, THTC staff will respond with a payment link (if you are not part of an invoiced agency). Once payment has been received, you will receive a registration confirmation. This process typically takes 1-4 business days.
- Course registration closes 24 business hours prior to the course start time. If the course is not full and you would like to submit a last-minute registration, please email our Training Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you are part of an invoiced agency, kindly note that only approved staff can submit registration requests. If you are unsure about who is an approved staff member, please speak to your supervisor/manager or contact our Training Coordinator: email@example.com.
- If you choose the member price ticket and you or your agency are not a THTC member, you will be charged the non-member rate. To become a THTC member, please follow the link below:
- Online Membership Application – Toronto Hostels Training Centre (thtcentre.com)
- You must receive a THTC membership confirmation email before submitting registration requests with the member price ticket.
- You must be on time for the course. Should you miss more than 30 minutes of the course, THTC will not issue a certificate of completion.
- This training is interactive – all participants are required to participate to the best of their ability.
- Participants will receive instructions on how to join the online Zoom session 1-2 business days before the training date. Please be sure to check your junk/spam folder.
- Participants are required to have their camera on for most of the training session (i.e., at least 70% of the session) in order to receive their course certificate. Should you require accommodation, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org plan at least 48 business hours before the training session. We also encourage you to use a tablet or laptop as participating using only a cell phone will significantly reduce your learning experience.
- A certificate of completion will be distributed upon successful course completion.
For more information on THTC policies and procedures, please follow the link below: