The Criminal Justice System in Ontario can be complex and challenging. Understanding the processes and procedures can lead to a more successful outcome for all concerned. This detailed and interactive workshop will give participants a comprehensive overview of how the Ontario legal system functions. Topics covered will include The Criminal Code, The Mental Health Act, Fitness to Stand Trial, Court Decorum, 102 Mental Health Court, Drug Treatment Court, Legal Aid, Please Court, Bail Court, Bail Hearing, The Bail Program, Surety, and PARS, among others. Also discussed will be the roles of Judges, Justices of the Peace, Police, Lawyers, Duty Counsel, Defence Counsel, Court Officers and Court Clerks. The Aboriginal Justice system will also be reviewed. A glossary of relevant terms will also be included.
- You must be prompt and present for the course. Any time missed will result in certificates not being issued.
- A certificate of attendance will be provided upon successful completion.
- Participants will learn an overview of the Justice system in Ontario and become familiar with terms commonly used.
- Discussion of case examples from practice will be used to contextualize learning and make relevant for participants.
- Participants will become familiar with alternative justice and diversion systems which may assist in the work they do with clients.
|Target Group: All
Cost: $100.00 Members / $110.00 Non-Members
Additional Training Method: Agency Training
REGISTRATIONS ARE CLOSED FOR THIS PROGRAM - THTC DOES NOT MAINTAIN A WAITLIST or CANCELLATION LIST. Please refer to the training calendar for future availability.