Non-Violent Crisis Prevention Intervention
Instructor: Julian Munsayac
*Please note that THTC no longer offers the live portion of CPI Nonviolent Crisis Prevention online via Zoom. The live portion of the course will now take place solely in-person.*
Crisis Prevention Institute’s Nonviolent Crisis Intervention (Third Edition) training focuses on verbal de-escalation, intervention, and prevention strategies to address escalating situations in social service settings. You will learn strategies to recognize and respond at the earliest points possible in a crisis, and to use a variety of verbal and nonverbal techniques to keep yourself, participants and the person in crisis safe. Setting limits, professional and ethical decision-making, using an effective team approach to intervene, and re-establishing communication with individuals who have escalated, are primary learning objectives.
This Nonviolent Crisis Intervention training will be provided in a Blended Learning format consisting of:
- Self-Paced Online Modules:
Once registered, you will receive a link from the Crisis Prevention Institute to access the online, self-paced portion of the Nonviolent Crisis Intervention course. This link will be sent out approximately 14 days prior to the live in-person portion of the course (outlined below). (If you register within 14 days of the course, you will receive the link within 2-3 business days of your registration). When you receive your Registration Confirmation email from Toronto Hostels Training Centre, you will also receive the CPI 3rd Edition Learner’s Guide as a PDF attachment. Please use this guide to complete the self-paced modules, which typically take approximately 3-6 hours to complete. You can complete the self-paced modules at your own pace and have the ability to pause and revisit previous material as needed. There is a brief, multiple choice quiz at the end of the self-paced learning that must be successfully completed at least 24 business hours prior to your live in-person training session. Please note that if the self-paced modules and quiz are not completed at least 24 business hours prior to the live training session, you will be unable to attend your live training session. If this occurs, you will be subject to a $40 administrative fee to reschedule your training (as per THTC policy).
- Live in Person Session:
The live portion (either in person or online via Zoom) will take place with a certified Nonviolent Crisis Intervention instructor to further understand and apply the concepts and models introduced in the online self-paced modules. Please note that Toronto Hostels Training Centre does not teach physical holds and focuses on verbal (i.e. hands-off) interventions, as well as Disengagement Skills (formerly ‘Personal Safety Techniques’). You will have the opportunity to apply and practice key concepts on case scenarios from the social service sector.
Certificate of Completion: Upon completion of the self-paced and live (in person or online) training, you will receive your Blue Card in CPI Nonviolent Crisis Intervention (no holds). You will also receive a PDF letter through email to provide to your (potential) employer. The Blue Card and CPI Nonviolent Crisis Intervention Training Participant Workbook (2nd Edition) will be mailed out to the address on file for your THTC membership (i.e., if you register through your organization’s membership, the booklet and Blue Card will be mailed out to the address on file for that organization).
- Identify the behavior levels that contribute to the development of a crisis and choose an appropriate staff intervention for each level.
- Identify verbal and non-verbal techniques which can help to avoid or respond to escalating situations.
- Identify and apply hands-off interventions to respond to physical risk behaviors.
- Provide for the Care, Welfare, Safety, and Security of everyone involved in a crisis.
- Apply the material covered in training to real-life situations.
- Provide means to re-establish communication with an escalated individual, strengthen team responses after a crisis, and lessen the likelihood of future crises.
Important information about this training (please read before registering):
This training is available to THTC members only. If you or your agency are not yet THTC members, please follow the link below:
Please note that memberships are valid for one year from the date of application. If you are unsure if your membership is still valid, please email our Training Coordinator: email@example.com.
You must receive a THTC membership confirmation email before submitting registration a registration request for the CPI Nonviolent Crisis Intervention course. If you are not a THTC member, THTC will not process your registration.
All participants must complete the online self-paced modules at least 24 business hours prior to the scheduled live in-person or live online date (referred to as “Day 2”). Failure to complete the online self-paced modules will result in not being admitted to the live in-person/live-online session and you will be subject to THTC’s $40 administrative fee to reschedule to a future session.
You must be on time for the course. Should you miss more than 15 minutes of the course, THTC will not issue a Blue Card.
This training is interactive – all attendees are required to participate in class discussion and activities. If live training is online, all attendees must have their camera on for 80% of the training. If you are not able to participate with your camera on, you should only register for the in-person live session.
Participants will receive a Nonviolent Crisis Intervention Blue Card (no holds) and Human Resources Letter (for your employer) which is valid for one (1) year from the date of the live day two training.
Target Group: All
Additional Training Method: Agency Training
Course Cost: THTC Member: $200
- Once you submit your registration request, THTC staff will respond with a payment link (if you are not part of an invoiced agency). Once payment has been received, you will receive a registration confirmation. This process typically takes 1-4 business days.
- Course registration closes 24 business hours prior to the course start time. If the course is not full and you would like to submit a last-minute registration, please email our Training Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you are part of an invoiced agency, kindly note that only approved staff can submit registration requests. If you are unsure about who is an approved staff member, please speak to your supervisor/manager or contact our Training Coordinator: email@example.com.
- If you choose the member price ticket and you or your agency are not a THTC member, you will be charged the non-member rate. To become a THTC member, please follow the link below:
- Online Membership Application – Toronto Hostels Training Centre (thtcentre.com)
- You must receive a THTC membership confirmation email before submitting registration requests with the member price ticket.
- You must be on time for the course. Should you miss more than 15 minutes of the course, THTC will not issue a Blue Card.
- This training is interactive – all participants are required to participate to the best of their ability.
- The doors to the office building at 65 Wellesley St. E. automatically unlock at 9:00AM. Please plan to arrive after 9:00AM as THTC staff might not be available to remotely open the building door before this time. Training starts at 9:30AM so please ensure that you arrive at least 5 minutes before start time.
- Should you require accommodations, please email firstname.lastname@example.org at least 48 business hours before the live in-person course to make prior arrangements.
- A Blue Card and pdf letter will be distributed upon successful course completion.
For more information on THTC policies and procedures, please follow the link below:
This program is fully booked - THTC does not maintain a waitlist.