Date(s) - 11/29/2019
9:00 am - 4:00 pm
|Total Cost for this Workshop:
THTC Members Pay: $80.00 | Non-Members Pay: $90.00
This interactive workshop will provide tools and skills for staff to understand and effectively address issues of anti-Black racism as it impacts clients/residents and staff. The workshop utilizes an anti-oppression, equity-focused, asset-driven, trauma-informed framework, using the lens of anti-Black racism, violence and poverty.
The workshop will explore and unpack the impact of racial micro-aggressions, the pervasive continuum of poverty, isolation, violence, substance use, mental health problems and social isolation which all contribute to the level of homelessness, transience and hard- to- house realities for high numbers of African Canadians. Additionally, the complexities and dynamics of the community will be examined. This includes the emerging related issues in the Somali and East African parts of the community.
Finally, the workshop will identify the dimensions of trauma (as they impact on African Canadians- especially in the context of anti Black racism, violence and poverty) and take participants through evidence-based options for developing effective trauma-informed approaches to healing and well-being, specific to the African Canadian community.
- You must be prompt and present for the course. Any time missed will result in certificates not being issued.
- A certificate of attendance will be provided upon successful completion.
- Enhance understanding and skills to work effectively with African Canadian- staff and clients/service users
- Build trauma-informed options for supporting African Canadians on their journey to healing and wellness
- Increase leadership skill level to effectively support and promote organizational changes that address anti Black racism and promote anti-oppression.
|Target Group: Front line and Case Management and Programming Staff, Managers/Supervisors
Additional Training Method: Agency Training
REGISTRATIONS ARE CLOSED FOR THIS PROGRAM - THTC DOES NOT MAINTAIN A WAITLIST or CANCELLATION LIST. Please refer to the training calendar for future availability.