Date(s) - 11/28/2019
9:00 am - 4:00 pm
Older homeless adults are often struggling with multiple and intersecting challenges and losses – those that come naturally with age and those that are exacerbated by the unique challenges of being homeless in later life. This workshop focuses on the particular needs of Older Adults including: loss, grief, and, trauma. Also discussed will be the developmental needs of the Older Adults. Participants will learn the best practices for supporting Older Adults including the key role Story-telling can play. The issue of Elder Abuse will be discussed. Lessons from the first workshop will be considered to determine the best approach workers and their agencies can take in supporting and advocating for Older Homeless Adults. Participants will also receive information on supports and resources available to Older Adults including: Income supports and Advocates such as The Advocacy Centre for the Elderly, The Toronto Police Service’s Vulnerable Persons Coordinator, and, Long-term Care and Community Care Access Centre’s.
- You must be prompt and present for the course. Any time missed will result in certificates not being issued.
- A certificate of attendance will be provided upon successful completion.
After the workshop, participants will:
- Develop an understanding of the emotional needs of older adults.
- Learn about best practices for working with older homeless adults.
- Learn about income supports for older adults.
- Learn about various resources for the older adult including: Long-term Care and Community Care Access Centre’s.
- Learn about Elder Abuse and how to address it.
|Target Group: All
Additional Training Method: Agency Training
REGISTRATIONS ARE CLOSED FOR THIS PROGRAM - THTC DOES NOT MAINTAIN A WAITLIST or CANCELLATION LIST. Please refer to the training calendar for future availability.